Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pressing Forward

"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
- Gordon B. Hinckley

I have been taught in my life that I must "press forward and endure to the end." Growing up I always interpreted this to mean that no matter what happens in life we need to keep going . . . no giving up and hiding away. However, since I was an older teenager and have been dealing with major personal struggles the concept of "enduring to the end" seemed more like trudging through a swamp. I felt like it was all I could do to just wake up in the morning and make it through another day. I hated that my life felt forced, and that I wasn't very happy. Despite the sadness and frustration that has been in my heart, I have started to hope that perhaps life isn't just meant to be endured, but instead it is meant to be lived. I have tried to remember the scripture 2 Nephi 2:25 that says that "men are that they might have joy," and have tried to seek all that is good in my life by focusing on my blessings and talents. It is not easy, but even in being able to come up with a few things every day that I am grateful for has helped me to keep some perspective in my life.


I invite you to try this too.



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a beautiful blog. You might enjoy checking out my blogs, too. I spent every day in November writing about gratitude since it was a hard month for me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just now realized you have a blog! And this entry, thus far, is among my favorites. You are truly pressing on Julie, and because of all your hard work, you are going to *make it* in this life. Grow, evolve, prosper, and most importantly, LIVE!
    xo
    -colette

    ReplyDelete