Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's Complicated

When I was in junior high I loved Avril lavigne's song "Complicated." and most appreciated the first line of the chorus, "Why do you have to make things so complicated?" I have been saying that to myself for years, and recently the thought has constantly been on my mind--among many other things. I have been going through a rough time lately, perhaps because school is really beginning to get stressful and since there are only a few weeks left and too many projects, papers and tests to think about; I have become overwhelmed--which really shouldn't come as a big surprise to me or to anyone who knows me. Still, sometimes I wish I wouldn't worry about everything as much as I do . . . make things more complex than they actually need to be.

I guess I really need to get some perspective on life right now. I need to remember how far I have come and how blessed I am. Although my life is not perfect--as it never will be--I am generally doing ok. Although I have difficult days I am trying to remember that everyone has those kind of days. Maybe this fact seems obvious to most people, but for most of my life I truly believed that perfection was possible. This belief has been a source of great stress and frustration over the years. In the past six years or so I have been actively trying to fight against my perfectionism, because it truly has hindered my growth in many ways. I know perfectionism can make life more difficult than it should be--it is one of my stumbling blocks that I will probably struggle with my whole life.

I know I need to be more patient with myself and with life in general right now. Sometimes I wish that life could be more simple and easy to navigate, and maybe it is. It is likely that I am complicating things so that I feel more pressure, stress, and frustration about life than is really necessary. I need to remember why I named this blog "The Inevitable Dawn." It was because I have a testimony of the fact that despite all the darkness in life the dawn will inevitably come. I know this to be true . . . so I need this to be a comfort to my soul.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are amazing! If you ever need a break, call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate to this post. Hang in there. The perfectionism struggle does continue, but it has gotten better, at least for me. Time helps. We'll have to talk again some day.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete