Last year on Thanksgiving I wrote about gratitude being the secret to happiness. This is a phrase that my father came up with when he wrote a talk on the same subject years ago. I believe that there is power in being truly grateful for the things that you are given in life, as well as those things that are just all around you, such as nature. I was inspired by a post by my sister Edie on her blog: http://dandehappenings.blogspot.com/ and so I too will list those things that I am most grateful for at this point in my life.
My dad is an amazing man. He is extremely intelligent, but tells corny jokes. He runs like a maniac and is about to run on his seventh continent (Antarctica) this coming February. He loves to memorize poetry and do crossword puzzles every night. I love him for his dedication to the gospel and his family more than anything.
My Mother is equally amazing. She brought up six children. She loves to teach and always does it in a unique and dramatic fashion. Just ask anyone who has ever sat in one of her Relief Society lessons. She is extremely artistic, musical, and poetic, and I have inherited many of these qualities myself . . . not really the artistic side though.

My siblings I am also most grateful for: Ben, David, Edie, Gen, and Jonny (in order of age). They are all great examples of faith, hope, triumph over adversity, loyalty, humor, kindness, and love. We weren't always the closest growing up--mostly because of the age differences between us, but now that we are adults that gap is slowly closing. I couldn't ask for a better family.
My grandparents (on my mother's side). They have always been good examples to me of great faith and perseverance in the face of great difficulties in life. Although my grandfather Ralph is no longer with us in this life I feel his Spirit often. Yesterday would have been their 60th anniversary, but as I told my grandmother they are still married since they were sealed in the Salt Lake City Temple back in 1950, and we will see him again..

I am grateful for the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ (learn more here). This is a picture of the Sacred Grove where Joseph Smith--the prophet of the restoration, saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Because of this Vision The Book of Mormon was eventually brought about and translated and we now have temples to do sacred work for ourselves and for our kindred dead.
I LOVE the temple!

I am grateful for good friends. I have too many to post pictures of, but this is Tori, a long-time friend from high school, taken on the day of her wedding last year.
Marilyn--see last post
I am grateful for music and for my talent for the viola. Music truly has enriched my life and brought me great joy.

I am grateful for education and for the opportunity I had to attend Brigham Young University. I went through a lot of personal difficulties during the five years I was in college but I made it out alive and more resilient than I was before.
I am grateful for freedom and that I live in the United States of America

I am most definitely grateful for babies (especially the ones I am related to)

The Grand Canyon

I LOVE sunsets! Just ask anyone who is really close to me and they will tell you that if I can I will stop what I am doing just to stare at one. God is truly a great artist. These sunsets can take my breath away sometimes and it is a gift to be able to witness them.
I am grateful I have been able to travel. Here I am on top of a castle in Germany
In Holland
Paris, France
It might seem silly, but I am grateful for Harry Potter (and for books in general). I first read Harry Potter when I was 12 years old and just starting junior high. To me they represent my adolescence and whenever I want to escape I re-read these books. Reading is one of my joys and I am grateful I have the opportunity to read more for pleasure now that I am out of school.
As it is Thanksgiving I am grateful for good food, and for being able to have food on a daily basis. I know I take it for granted and it is what keeps me going (physically) from day to day.

Good desserts are also good for the soul

In conclusion, I am grateful for the opportunities I have to experience joy on a day to day basis. This picture was taken my very first semester at BYU back in 2005. It represents joy for me because I was going through a very hard time at that point in my life, but I was able to step back from all of the sadness and stress and throw leaves in the air in front of my dorm. There is always something to be joyful about.
Beautiful, Julie. I'm grateful to be your cousin!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder of all that we have to be grateful for! I sure am grateful for you Julie!
ReplyDeleteThank you Dorthea and Kim! I consider you both friends too!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I could inspire you! Beautiful pictures, and wonderful things to be grateful for!
ReplyDelete