Saturday, May 8, 2010

I am a BYU graduate . . . FINALLY!

On April 22 and 23, 2010 I participated in graduation ceremonies for the BYU class of 2010. I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology.
Here are some pictures that capture some of the many memories I made on those days.

Y-mountain

The day before graduation my mother took pictures of me around campus. It felt a bit awkward since I was the only one taking pictures, but it was nice not having to stand in line with the hundreds of other graduates at the more "famous" landmarks. This particular picture is taken on a bench next to the art museum gardens.

For my college convocation (Family, Home, and Social Sciences) we filed in through a couple of portals in the Marriott center. It rained that day and so we weren't able to come in through the tunnels on the ground floor.

My parents have been my biggest cheerleaders throughout all five years of my college education. They have always been there for me, and I love them so much.

My sister Gen came was able to come and support me. I love her!

I was so excited that my grandmother Darlene Evans came to my graduation. I have always felt a unique connection to her because my middle name is Darlene. As they called my name to receive my diploma I walked proudly, knowing that my namesake was in the audience. I love her more than I can describe and I will never forget that she was there to support me.

Even though there were over 6000 graduates I ran into two of my roommates (Lauren and Stefi) who also graduated. I love these girls and I miss them already.

As luck would have it, I also ran into Nicole Sheahan, one of the most amazing women I have met since coming to BYU. When I moved into Foxwood condos in 2009 she was my relief society president and we became friends quickly.

Anne Marie and I were in a psych class together this past semester and we worked on several group projects. I was so glad that we found each other before convocation so that we could sit together and keep each other company through the long ceremony.

"The World is Our Campus"

"Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve"

BYU has a "victory bell" that they let graduates ring after commencement. I braved the line and gave it a go . . . YEAH FOR GRADUATION!!

If you look closely you can see that this diploma is only a "sample." I feel great now that I know I finished all of my requirements, received passing grades--haha--and my "official" diploma will be mailed out next week.

After both ceremonies were over I took one last look at the Carillon Bell Tower that would play the hymn "Come, Come Ye Saints" at the top of ever hour. I remember getting annoyed at this when I was a freshman, hoping they would play something different. Now that I am done with college and have left BYU I have a deeper appreciation for this tradition.

The first two verses of this hymn have particular meaning to me:

Come, come, ye saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy, wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
’Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell
All is well! All is well!

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
’Tis not so, all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward,
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take;
Our God will never us forsake,
And soon we’ll have this tale to tell,
All is well! All is well!

Now that the "party" is over I am quietly contemplating the future direction of my life. There is much ambiguity in what I am currently facing, and although it is not the most comfortable feeling in the world I am doing my best to face all the questions with faith.

2 comments:

  1. The post turned out great. I am glad that I was able to help.

    Julie once again Congrats! You are now added to the list of college graduates of our family. This is a great achievement that did take a lot of hard work and determination to get through. I love you, as well as your brother in law and nephews. Your courage and faith have helped you come this far, and will help you progress even further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, congrats on all of your hard work to achieve your diploma. I reading your thoughts of college at BYU. I remember when you were a freshman in highschool talking about wanting to go to BYU and you just had to get in, now you graduated, great job!!

    ReplyDelete